Byrne group | Mathematical oncology
Professor Helen Byrne
Research in the Byrne group focuses on the development and analysis of mathematical and computational models of biomedical systems. Working with other groups in Ludwig Oxford and elsewhere, we have particular interest in applying these models to:
- the growth and response to treatment of solid tumours;
- interactions between tumours, the microenvironment and the immune system;
- angiogenesis, vascular remodelling and tumour blood flow;
- plaque development in atherosclerosis.
By developing and studying such models, we aim to:
- explain disease mechanisms;
- discriminate between competing biological hypotheses;
- generate new predictions that can be tested experimentally; and
- identify potential new treatments for diseases, such as cancer and atherosclerosis.